Benton City residents have adopted healthier lifestyles A recent survey of city residents shows that the eating habits of city residents conform more closely to government nutritional recommendations than they did ten years ago During those ten years loca

Benton City residents have adopted healthier lifestyles. A recent survey of city residents shows that the eating habits of city residents conform more closely to government nutritional recommendations than they did ten years ago. During those ten years, local sales of food products containing kiran, a substance that a scientific study has shown reduces cholesterol, have increased fourfold, while sales of sulia, a food rarely eaten by the healthiest residents, have declined dramatically. Because of these positive changes in the eating habits of Benton City residents, we predict that the obesity rate in the city will soon be well below the national average.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

According to a recent survey of Benton city residents, it showed that the eating habits of city residents conforms more to the government nutritional recommendations than it did 10 years ago, therefore the obesity rate in the city would soon be well below the national average. The survey came to this conclusion based on the fact that within those 10 years the local sale of food products containing Kiran, a substance that a scientific study showed to reduce cholesterol has increased in four folds, and because the local sale of food product containing Sulia, a food rarely eaten by the healthiest of residents, has declined drastically. However, before this prediction can be properly evaluated, three questions must be answered.
First of all, are we sure that the scientific study is accurate? Maybe the results of the scientific study were manipulated to show that Kiran has cholesterol reducing properties, so has to boost the sale of food products containing Kiran. Further, the scientific study may have used a particular animal as the test subjects as opposed to using human, and the Kiran might have the ability to reduce cholesterol in that animal but not in human. If either of these scenarios has truth to it, then the argument would not hold water.
Secondly, do we know if the city residents were honest during the survey? It is possible that some of the city residents were lying about their choice of diet – perhaps, their diets were not in accordance to the government nutritional recommendations, and they were not honest about it. If this aforementioned scenario has merit, then the original argument is significantly weakened.
Finally, do we know why food containing Sulia is rarely eaten amongst the healthy city residents? Maybe foods containing Sulia are expensive to purchase, that is why it is rarely eaten amongst “healthy” residents, it is also possible that foods containing Sulia are generally not tasty, that may also be why it is rarely eaten amongst that population. If the above proves true, the argument is significantly weakened.
In conclusion, the argument, as it stands now, is considerably flawed, due to its reliance on several unwarranted assumptions. If the survey is able to answer the three questions above and provide more evidence, then it would be possible to truly evaluate the viability of the proposed predictions that because of the positive changes in the eating habits of Banton city residents, the rate of obesity amongst city residents would be reduced below the national average.