The director of the International Health Foundation recently released this announcement A new medical test that allows the early detection of a particular disease will prevent the deaths of people all over the world who would otherwise die from the diseas

The director of the International Health Foundation
recently released this announcement:
“A new medical test that allows the early detection of a
particular disease will prevent the deaths of people all over
the world who would otherwise die from the disease. The
test has been extremely effective in allowing doctors to
diagnose the disease six months to a year before it would
have been spotted by conventional means. As soon as we
can institute this test as routine procedure in hospitals
around the world, the death rate from this disease will
plummet.”

According to the announcement released by the director of the International Health Foundation, it stated that a new medical test for a particular disease is now available, and if the test can be implemented as a routine procedure in various hospitals around the world, death rate from this disease would reduce significantly. The director has come to this conclusion based on fact that the test allows doctors diagnose that particular disease six months to a year before it can ever be spotted by any conventional means. However, before this announcement can be properly evaluated, three questions must be answered.

First of all, do we know that early detection would lead to survival? It is possible that the disease is
not even curable at all – perhaps, there are no effective therapeutics yet, therefore all that is possible is just to detect the disease and not cure it, which is not going to lead to survival. If the aforementioned scenario has merit, then the conclusion drawn from the original argument is weakened.

Secondly, are the test going to be readily available for general use across hospitals around the world? The director prematurely assumed that the test would cheap enough, perhaps this might not be the case, the test kit could be relatively expensive, in fact it might not be produced in enough quantities to be available for distribution across the world. If this prior mentioned scenario is true, then the argument does not hold water.

Thirdly, are instructions going to be provided on how to perform the test? Since this is a new test, doctors might not know how to conduct such test, in fact those might know how to carry out the test, may not know how to interpret the results correctly, then the test would not be effective towards diagnosing the disease. If the above proves true, then the argument is significantly
weakened.

In conclusion, the argument, as it stands now, is considerable flawed due to its reliance on several
unwarranted assumptions. If the Director is able to answer the three questions above, and provide more evidence, then it would be possible to fully evaluate the viability of the proposed recommendation that if this new test could be fully integrated into several hospitals around the world, death rate would significantly reduce.