Commuters complain that increased rush hour traffic on Blue Highway between the suburbs and the city center has doubled their commuting time The favored proposal of the motorists lobby is to widen the highway adding an additional lane of traffic But last

"Commuters complain that increased rush-hour traffic on Blue Highway between the suburbs and the city center has doubled their commuting time. The favored proposal of the motorists' lobby is to widen the highway, adding an additional lane of traffic. But last year's addition of a lane to the nearby Green Highway was followed by a worsening of traffic jams on it. A better alternative is to add a bicycle lane to Blue Highway. Many area residents are keen bicyclists. A bicycle lane would encourage them to use bicycles to commute, and so would reduce rush-hour traffic rather than fostering an increase."

According to the letter that appeared to the editor of a local newspaper, it is suggested that adding a bicycle lane to Blue Highway will reduce the rush-hour traffic. This suggestion is made based on the previously made highway that worsen the condition of traffic jam. However, before this suggestion can be evaluated accurately the following three questions need to be answered.
Firstly, can it be said that the Blue highway and Green highway are same? It may be possible that the Green Highway is very close to the main town. It is also possible that this highway connects two or more important trading cities. For example, if the Capital of that state that contains Green Highway is connected with small area through this Green Highway, then people will use more frequently that highway to sell their products, to meet doctor, to improve their life they will move to that city and eventually, it will increase the traffic jam. Perhaps, Blue highway is more connecting the rural areas that are not that much populated. In that case increasing the width of the Blue highway may be feasible to reduce the rush-hour traffic. So, if any of these scenarios are true, then how adding just a bicycle lane would handle the extra traffic of rush-hour and improve the situation?
Secondly, interested in some activities does not indicate that they will be repeating that in the everyday life. The residents are keen bicyclists, it does not mean they will also be interested in going their workplace using bicycle. It may be possible that their workplaces is not within a short distance. Perhaps, Blue Highway far miles away from the main city. In that case the residents would not prefer bicycle to reach their workplace. It may possible that most of the residents does not have any bicycle. And in that case they may not be willing to buy a bicycle. If any of these scenarios are true, then adding a bicycle lane will not improve the rush –hour traffic rather it will reduce the effectiveness of the newly added bicycle lane.
Thirdly, any changes in the road is need to be approved by the state government. If this bicycle lane required more money that it could be added in the budget as a profit. Then it may be possible that government of that state would not allow the budget to spend on adding a new bicycle lane. So, in that case adding bicycle lane would not be a feasible scenario.
Finally, the suggestion of adding a new bicycle lane is based on some assumption. This suggestion can be accurately evaluated if the writer can provide some statistics in the form of graph or pie chart.