The following appeared in the editorial column of the Fern County Gazette newspaper:"The Fern County Council made the right decision when it unanimously voted to convert the Northside branch of the county library system into a computer-skills training fac

The following appeared in the editorial column of the Fern County Gazette newspaper:

"The Fern County Council made the right decision when it unanimously voted to convert the Northside branch of the county library system into a computer-skills training facility for public use. The converted facility will fill what is certain, based on national trends, to be a growing need among county residents for training in computer skills. And since our library system boasts more volumes per resident than any other system in the state, the remaining branches will adequately serve the future needs of Fern County residents."

Discuss what evidence you would need to properly evaluate the argument, and explain how that evidence might strengthen or weaken the argument.

The author's claim that the Fern County Council's decision to convert the Northside branch of the country library system into a facility for computer-skills education program for public use seems axiomatic. However, the author fails to provide sufficient information required for a proper evaluation of the argument.

First, the author contends that there is a growing need among county residents based on a national trend. Nevertheless, the author does not give detailed information which can manifest that the national trend equally applies to every county of the nation. It is entirely possible that the Fern County does not follow the national trend of computer skills training as other counties do. Therefore, the author should provide evidence that can demonstrate the exact trends of the Fern County such as a survey. Also, even if the survey illustrates that the county follows the same trend, if the majority of residents are young and familiar with computers, computer courses would not be needed and cause the county to spend money that yields no practical effects.

Second, additional evidence that is required to be added is information about other institutions in the county that hold computer-skills training courses. As the author mentioned, since it is a national trend, it ought to be popular among various facilities like schools, community colleges, and private academies. If there are already a good amount of private and public institutions that have great business and education service to residents, additional computer training facility would be obsolete.

Third, the author argues that because current library system is large in volumes compared to other system in the state, even after the alternation of the Northside branch, the remaining branches will be able to afford the needs of Fern County residents. Although it sounds reasonable, the author fails to demonstrate the exact amount of space allocated for library system before and after the alteration of the Northside branch. It possible that the alteration could adversely affect the entire county library system. The author needs to give specific information about the design of the whole branches of library system in order to show the exact percentage of the library space that will be transformed after the conversion of the area. If it turns out that the Northside branch took the majority of the entire space, the author's claim would be logically flawed.

All in all, the author's argument without aforementioned evidences is gratuitous. To strengthen the contention, the author needs to elaborate more on the trend of the Fern County, information about other education and computer related institutions in the county, and the exact portion of the Northside branch in the whole library system.

argument 2 -- somehow duplicated to argument 1.

one more argument: suppose the remaining branches will adequately serve the future needs of Fern County residents, it doesn't mean it is a good decision. for example, it may not be convenient for some residents who are close to the Northside branch of the county library to borrow books from other branches.
----------------