The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of homes

The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes.

"A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of homes in our area built by our competitor Domus Construction have such features and have sold much faster and at significantly higher prices than the national average. To boost sales and profits, we should increase the size of the family rooms and kitchens in all the homes we build and should make state-of-the-art kitchens a standard feature. Moreover, our larger family rooms and kitchens can come at the expense of the dining room, since many of our recent buyers say they do not need a separate dining room for family meals."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The president of Bower Builders (BB) suggests constructing new houses with a large family room and a big and rightly-appointed kitchen. This statement is supported by evidence which is connected with the conclusion by several flimsy assumptions which ought be carefully scrutinized in order to gauge the soundness of the argument.

The first evidence which is given to us is the results of a nationwide survey. It has found that purchasers want to have large kitchen and family room. Despite the fact that the writer tends to extrapolate this results unquestionably, all nationwide survey give an average representation of the demos' preferences. In other words, if customers who live in five towns out of six prefer to have these features and the dwellers of the one town of these do not desire to have the big well-appointed kitchen and family room, the results of the survey will not demonstrate this deviation. Consequently, the author's usage of the research is not reasonable in this context.

The second evidence which we have is that Domus Construction which is a rival company has already introduced these features in their houses. And their sales are significantly faster and higher. However, may we assert that the only reason of this positive result is the introduction of these features? Probably other factors which were neglected by the writer impact on the sales' size. For example, the competitor may use better or/and ecologically friendly materials for erection of these houses. These homes may have better overall characteristics and be located in decent neighborhoods. Thus these unstated factors may explain the rival's success.

The third fact which we know is that some of the BB's recent clients see no use in separate dining room for family meals. The arguer avers that these space should be used for expensing of kitchen and family room. At the same time, does the writer give us any supportive evidences of this proposal? Perhaps these customers prefer to use this space for other purposes, for instance, for working cabinet or gym. In other words, the writer's proposal is based on his or her own believes and thus requires additional support.

Finally, the argument claims that making these features a standard will inevitably lead to the improvement in sales and profits. However, the arguer has failed to bolster his position. Thus the results of the policy fulfillment is unclear, for instance, the writer proposes installation of state-of-the-art kitchens in all houses, however, how this alteration will impact on houses price? Probably it will increase and thus some of buyers may not welcome this change. As a result we may conclude that increase in sales and profits is not assured.

In conclusion, the arguer claims that introduction of such features as large family room and kitchen will lead to the skyrocketing of BB's profits and sales; unfortunately, the writer does not manage to prove that these features are welcomed by company's customer and that the introduction of them will lead to improvement of BB' financial situation.

Let's analyze the structure of the statement and argue accordingly:

A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. //your argument 1

A number of homes in our area built by our competitor Domus Construction have such features and have sold much faster and at significantly higher prices than the national average. //your argument 2

To boost sales and profits, we should increase the size of the family rooms and kitchens in all the homes we build and should make state-of-the-art kitchens a standard feature. //your argument 4 but not OK. read it carefully: in all the homes we build...', maybe some homes only.

Moreover, our larger family rooms and kitchens can come at the expense of the dining room, since many of our recent buyers say they do not need a separate dining room for family meals. //your argument 3 but not OK. read it carefully: 'our recent buyers...', maybe future buyers have different ideas.

-----------------------