The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing."During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than

The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing.

"During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than ours. Experts say that significant contributing factors in many on-the-job accidents are fatigue and sleep deprivation among workers. Therefore, to reduce the number of on-the-job accidents at Quiot and thereby increase productivity, we should shorten each of our three work shifts by one hour so that employees will get adequate amounts of sleep."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

Undoubtedly, all of companies strive hard to increase their productivities and reduces the job accident. Regarding by the writers claim, the Quiot Company deals with the higher percent (30%) than the Panoply industries plant. The writer thinks that by reducing the time of every shift by one hour, the percentages of both productivity and job accident will be normal. While, this solution may be true at the first glance but he doesn’t provide clear and valid data and information. However, this statement will be evaluated as follow.

First of all, he believes that the ratio of job accident at Quiot manufacturing 30% higher than Panopy Industries plant, while he doesn’t illustrate the valuable statistical data to prove and also he doesn’t show the number of workers and the quantity and quality of every company’s shift time.

Furthermore, based on the writer’s proof, some experts deem that the time of shift is the one of the most prominent issue that can lead to the high rate of job accidents, because of the workers fatigue and sleeplessness. While, probably, other factors such as the quality of equipments, obeying the ergonomic systems, the age of workers, the experiences of operators and the level of the workers education can be more important than the shift of work.

Another hypothesis that has been claimed by the author is that, by declining the time of shift by one hour not only the ratio of productivity and efficiency will rise but also the number of job accident will decrease. While, may be this policy cannot be effectual to reach the indicated goals. Because, may be, by reduction of the time of shift, the quantity of products will be declined gradually and the company will have encounter detrimental consequences such as incapability to pay the workers’ wages and its fix and running costs.

To sum up, the writer assumes that the one of the most pertinent answer to decline the number of job accident is the reduction of the shift time according to the panopy company, while he doesn’t provide clear and valid data to declare and also it is better ask help from experts, other cognizant people and pioneer companies in this aspect.

argument 1 -- not OK

argument 3 -- not OK
--------------------