The following appeared in a memorandum from the manager of WWAC radio station."To reverse a decline in listener numbers, our owners have decided that WWAC must change from its current rock-music format. The decline has occurred despite population growth i

ishi's picture

In the given argument, the claim is presented in a manner that does not fully support itself. It rests upon various unwarranted assumptions which need adequate crystallization. The manager of WWAC radio station wishes to switch from the current rock music format to a news and talk format.Although it is a wise approach to adopt to the contemporary music form, still i feel further clarity and information should be offered by the manager to support the claim.
Primarily, a claim has been put forth that there is a decline despite of the increase in population in the listening area. It is completely logical on the radio stations part to think lucidly and take an appropriate measure to beat the decline.Although, the correlation mentioned here in between the decline and change in population genre seems to be unconvincing. There might be a possibility that people in the listening area are not happy with the voice of the DJ.Or there might be a chance that the song list played has become monotonous.Thus, the manager should consider these clauses before changing the format altogether.
Secondly, the decline in local sales has been attributed to limited interest in music. In today's generation, the statement does seem baseless owing to the increasing trend of online music. Now-a-days rather than wasting money on buying a music CD people do prefer to download a music app in their smartphones.Hence, the manager cannot come to a conclusion about people's interests by simply considering the decline in local sales.
In addition, on the basis of the aforementioned void conclusions the manager finally proposes to switch to the news and talk format which has a current soaring popularity.Nonetheless, it cannot be assumed that such a switch would guarantee success to WWAC radio station. Rather, such a step may go the other way round. As the competitors of the radio station use this format, it is highly probable that the station's current listener numbers would decline further.
Conclusively, if the manager of the radio station provided the above mentioned information and elaborated more on the details, his or her proposal could contribute a great deal to gaining a large listener base.