The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company.
"Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity. One graduate of the course was able to read a 500-page report in only two hours; another graduate rose from an assistant manager to vice president of the company in under a year. Obviously, the faster you can read, the more information you can absorb in a single workday. Moreover, Easy Read would cost Acme only $500 per employee—a small price to pay when you consider the benefits. Included in this fee is a three-week seminar in Spruce City and a lifelong subscription to the Easy Read newsletter. Clearly, to improve overall productivity, Acme should require all of our employees to take the Easy Read course."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.
The president makes a recommendation for Acme to require all its employees take the Easy Read Course in order to improve the overall productivity. He supports his argument with the help of achievements of graduates of the course and the benefits which outweigh the price of course. However, the premises contain flaws and need certain questions to be answered to make the argument reasonable.
Firstly, there is question of whether what succeeds in other companies also succeeds in Acme Publishing company. There is no evidence that many other companies quoted in the argument are actually similar to Acme in terms of their functioning. It may be that Acme differs from them significantly as it already has a well literate employees as their recruitment criteria are stringent and while others are a bit lax in this regard resulting in hiring illiterate or semi-literate workforce. May be this is a reason for great improved productivity in others due to taking the Easy read course and productivity may be already high in Acme.
Secondly, there is a question of whether more information a person absorbs due to fast reading actually translates into adequate understanding. Just because a graduate of the course is able to read 500-page document in two hours does not mean he understands it. There is need for further evidence regarding the understanding aspect to have a favourable conclusion without which it belies any claims of improved productivity . Furthermore, the person who raised from position of assistant manager to vice president may have done so because of other reasons like lack of people to fill the higher position which was vacant in the organisation.
Finally , there is a question o f whether $500 dollars is a small price to pay when compared to benefits. It may be possible that the company already pays very high salary for its highly qualified workforce. They may not require the course to improve their productivity which is benchmark in the industry. Any additional expense will be a drain on the company's profits with no useful rewards in the longer run. Moreover, three week seminar can actually mean paid holidays for the employees with no revenue being generated in the period. There is no evidence this cost is taken into account while weighing the benefits
In conclusion , the argument suffers from serious flaws due to inability to answer certain questions. There is need for further information regarding similarity, understanding aspect of graduates of the course and the probable cost-benefit analysis. Without this, the argument and the recommendation are at best suspect.
- We can learn much more from people whose views we share than from people whose views contradict our own.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take70
- The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal."A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situ40
- Laws should be flexible enough to take account of various circumstances, times, and places.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developi70
- The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner.Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central 80
- The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company."Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity. One50
argument 1 -- OK
argument 2 -- OK
argument 3 -- not OK
Moreover, Easy Read would cost Acme only $500 per employee—a small price to pay when you consider the benefits. Included in this fee is a three-week seminar in Spruce City and a lifelong subscription to the Easy Read newsletter. //suppose the company has 500 employees, it is still a big money: $500*500=250,000
Clearly, to improve overall productivity, Acme should require all of our employees to take the Easy Read course. //(Always remember argue against the conclusion.) maybe some of employees need, not all of them
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 3.0 out of 6
Category: Satisfactory Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 20 15
No. of Words: 425 350
No. of Characters: 2153 1500
No. of Different Words: 217 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.54 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.066 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.882 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 166 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 136 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 95 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 53 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 21.25 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 6.744 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.8 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.298 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.521 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.074 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5