The following was used as part of an internet advertising company's appeal to businesses: Furniture Depot employed our internet advertising company to help. Since then its sales increased by 10% over last year's totals. Furniture Depot's success demonstra

The following was used as part of an internet advertising company's appeal to businesses: Furniture Depot employed our internet advertising company to help. Since then its sales increased by 10% over last year's totals. Furniture Depot's success demonstrates how using our internet services can increase your profitability.

Describe how well reasoned you find this argument. In the discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the argument's conclusion. You may also address possible changes in the argument that would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

In the booming age of internet and new companies it competition has reached its peak. There is so much competition between similar companies that it becomes really hard to reach out to consumers. And the days of physical advertising has gone and in this digital age internet advertising is a must. In the argument one of the internet advertising company is providing businesses with example of their client Furniture Depot who's sales increased by 10% after they hired them for advertising. At first this sounds really believable but the internet advertising company needs to provide proper numbers and facts which they fail to do.

First assumption that the advertising company makes is that the profit of Furniture Depot went up 10% after they started advertising for them. It is not necessary that the increase in sales is because of their advertising. There might be lot of furniture stores in that locality close down which would have increased the sales for Furniture Depot. The advertising company need to provide data about how they advertised the company and how that lead to sales. It is really easy for them to analyze this by checking how many consumers clicked on their ad and how many of those ended up buying some item. This way they can track the number of orders which were generated using their ad while they can provide a coupon code for in store purchases which could be used to get data for in store purchases. This way they can show their future businesses how their advertising lead to sales and how it accounted for increase in sales.

The next problem with the advertising company's argument is that they only talk about one company and provide proof for just one year of sales. They fail to tell us how long they are advertising for Furniture Depot and what were the sale numbers for all the years they worked for them. It is possible they are advertising for Furniture Depot for 3 years but this is the first year they saw increase in sales which does not demonstrate increase in profitability.

It is also possible that the increase in sales for the company is due to getting a bulk or big order for a customer which made the sales go up 10%. Milton Hershey once said " Give them quality that is the best kind of advertising" and this might be the case with Furniture Depot too. There is also a possibility that the furniture store totally changed the different types and quality of furniture they sell and which lead to increase in sales. Milton Hershey once said " Give them quality that is the best kind of advertising" and this might be the case with Furniture Depot too.

It is clear that increase in 10% sales can be from many different sources and not due to internet advertising. If the internet advertising company need to prove that they are dependable they need to show data for all the years and all the companies they work with and how they have helped companies increase their sales. Proving that they can be best fit for other companies based on just one customer and one year of sales does not account to them been dependable.

argument 3 -- not OK. Need to argue against the conclusion. For this topic it is:

'Furniture Depot's success demonstrates how using our internet services can increase your profitability.'

It works for furniture company, doesn't mean it will work for other companies.
----------------