One month ago all the showerheads in the first three buildings of the Sunnyside Towers complex were modified to restrict maximum water flow to one third of what it used to be Although actual readings of water usage before and after the adjustment are not

"One month ago, all the showerheads in the first three buildings of the Sunnyside Towers complex were modified to restrict maximum water flow to one-third of what it used to be. Although actual readings of water usage before and after the adjustment are not yet available, the change will obviously result in a considerable savings for Sunnyside Corporation, since the corporation must pay for water each month. Except for a few complaints about low water pressure, no problems with showers have been reported since the adjustment. I predict that modifying showerheads to restrict water flow throughout all twelve buildings in the Sunnyside Towers complex will increase our profits even more dramatically."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

In the above argument author predicts reduction in the supply of the water to showerhead to the resident of Sunnyside Tower will result in saving for Sunnyside Corporation. Above argument can hold true if some of the open questions are answered.

Firstly question would be, was there any study performed which states resident of the Sunnyside Tower are using showerhead water more then what could have suffice the requirements? Study revealing the over-usage of the water with the calculation based on resident per building and average showerhead water consumption per apartment which leads to restriction of the water flow to one-third would support the decision. Instead of prediction, numbers would justify the regulations of water flow.

Second question that is needed to be answered is, are these three buildings using water more then their requirements? If author would have expounded on the usage of the first three building it would have justified the restriction of the showerhead water. There could be possibility that the resident of these buildings are already using water conservatively. Restriction of the water to one-third may lead to water shortage for the resident who are already conserving water; would be injustice to the resident who bought the apartment with the assurance of continuous of water supply.

Next question is, what improvement is observed post adjustment? Author fails to provide actual reading before and after adjustment. This details would be instrumental in deciding the success or failure of the adjustment. If it was a success, there could be a possibility to restrict water further which could had supplemented to the saving for Sunnyside Corporation. If it was a failure, root cause for the failure is necessary before extending the adjustment on the other nine buildings.

Last question which would make the argument reasonable is related to few complaints resident lodged about low water pressure. Are residents ok to continue with these low water pressure. Low water pressure results in more bath time and with these fast running world where we eat breakfast and prepare the lunchbox at same time would result in more inconvenience to residents. This may lead to protest against the Sunnyside Tower complex property managers and also selling of the apartments.

To conclude, if the questions on current water demand, water usage post adjustment and effectiveness of the adjustment are answered it will make the argument strong and easy to comprehend.

argument 1 -- not OK. don't refer something new. if there is no 'study' or 'survey' in the statement, it means it is not a loophole.

argument 3 -- OK.

suggested:
in order to reasonably conclude that low-flow heads will reduce total water usage in the building the owner must assume that other water uses will remain constant in the future. perhaps current tenants will be replaced by other tenants who use more water.

and it works in the first three buildings, it doesn't mean it will work on other left buildings.

argument 4 -- not OK. Since it happened only one month ago, more complaints maybe in the future.