"A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertisin

"A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertising firms studied, those whose executives reported needing no more than 6 hours of sleep per night had higher profit margins and faster growth. These results suggest that if a business wants to prosper, it should hire only people who need less than 6 hours of sleep per night."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The assumption of a company prospering because of less than 6 hours of sleep by advertising executives is not at all a strong reason for the prosperity of a company. This argument by the author has lot of flaws and this has to be addressed. The statistics provided by the author is not completely appropriate when applied to a whole number of general scenarios.

In the first argument we can clearly see that there was only very few advertising companies which were rated and the statistics of these companies may be flawed. The study considered might have taken into account only those companies which were successful and which had high reputation. The study would not have involved those companies which are not successful and has their executives sleep no more than 6 hours. There might be equal percentage of failed companies also in which the executives slept less than 6 hours. The amount of data collected should be almost equal to the no of all range and types companies.

The working environments of these advertising companies differ largely from one company to another. The information of the employees could have been from a company which has well managerial process and the weather conditions might be suitable for long hours of work with less sleep. So, the environment of the company influence the sleeping hours and working hours. The data could have been from companies with more conducive working ambiance.

The argument has suggested to hire people who sleeps no more than 6 hours. This cannot be done because a persons sleep depend on the amount of work he has or it can be completely personal to his routine. The person cannot provide the data of the amount of sleep needed without working as an employee of that company. He might be sleeping less hours at home but after joining the company he might need more hour of sleep .

The statistical data collected might have not taken into account the growth of the company over many years. On the basis of a data from a single year growth one cannot conclude that over a long run also the company will prosper.

The data collected might not have taken into consideration the age of the employees in those advertising companies. An young person would require less sleep than an older guy. So, the data cannot be generalized to all the employees with varying ages. The data collected could have been from startups and this cannot be applied to company which has been long established.

On these loopholes from different perspective the conclusion that one should hire people with less than 6 hours of sleep goes baseless . The data should provide more precise reasons to hire employees for a prosperous company.

argument 2 , argument 4 and argument 5 are talking about the same thing.

----------------
You can find more loopholes by following ideas:

It works for time A (10 years ago), but it doesn't mean it works for time B (nowadays).

It works for location A (a city, community, nation), but it doesn't mean it works for location B (another city, community, nation).

It works for people A (a manager), but it doesn't mean it works for people B (a worker).

It works for event A (one event, project... ), but it doesn't mean it works for event B (another event, project...).

----------------------------