Ten years ago our company had two new office buildings constructed as regional headquarters for two different regions The buildings were erected by two different construction companies Alpha and Zeta Even though the two buildings had identical floor plans

Ten years ago our company had two new office buildings constructed as regional headquarters for two different regions. The buildings were erected by two different construction companies Alpha and Zeta. Even though the two buildings had identical floor plans, the building constructed by Zeta cost 30 percent more to build, and its expenses for maintenance last year were twice those of the building constructed by Alpha. Furthermore, the energy consumption of the Zeta building has been higher than that of the Alpha building every year since its construction. Such data, plus the fact that Alpha has a stable workforce with little employee turnover, indicate that we should use Alpha rather than Zeta for our contemplated new building project.

The author of this memo cites some benefits of Alpha Company such as expenses for maintenance, energy consumption, and stable workforce. He suggests that for new project, the company use the Alpha rather than Zeta since it is beneficial. The close scrutiny of this memo reveals that all mentioned assumptions are based on some questionable propositions.

First of all, the argument relies on unfair assumption that the building constructed by the Zeta cost thirty percent more than that building constructed by the Alpha, and also its expenses for maintenance last year were twice those of Alpha. The writer overlooks the possibility that the facilities included in the Zeta building. It is plausible to consider that luxurious and facilities like bath and kitchen in the Zeta have a high price and high quality. As for the point about expenses for maintenance, the arguer fails to see that more expenses are associated to geographical region of zeta which needs more monetary source and material to be empowered. To bolster this statement, the author should provide more information about facilities, geographical region and other equipment in both of Alpha building and Zeta building to make a clear picture about efficiency of both buildings.

Secondly, the author imparts that energy consumption in the zeta building is more than that of alpha building. The author fails to consider other alternative explanation for this case. Perhaps because of some affecting factors in the Zeta building energy consumption is higher than Alpha Company. For example, the Zeta is located in a region with harsh climate which needs more energy consumption in the all seasons. Or perhaps the Zeta residents consume more energy than Alpha building since they need more energy more daily activities and their workers. Without ruling out some other alternative explanation the author cannot justify his claim about efficiency of Alpha Company.

Thirdly, the arguer establishes his claim on this assumption that the Alpha building has a stable workforce with little employee turnover. Then he suggests that the new project be constructed by the Alpha Company to gain more efficiency. The author fails to see some other factors affecting this point since little employee turnover and stable workforce do not necessarily mean that the Alpha company is better than Zeta company. it is possible that type of work in both buildings are different and employee need more vacation and rest in Zeta building since it has a higher height than that of Alpha company. or perhaps working in Zeta is harder than working in Alpha company.

All in all, based on doubtful assumptions and poor evidence, the author' reasoning does not provide concrete support for his conclusion. Had these details been mentioned along with supporting evidence, it would have been more convincing and through to strengthen this argument. The author should provide more information discussed above maybe by a local study or survey to make a lucid description.

----------------

argument 3 -- not exactly: since it has a higher height than that of Alpha company....
----------------