There is now evidence that the relaxed pace of life in small towns promotes better health and greater longevity than does the hectic pace of life in big cities. Businesses in the small town of Leeville report fewer days of sick leave taken by individual w

There is now evidence that the relaxed pace of life in small towns promotes better health and greater longevity than does the hectic pace of life in big cities. Businesses in the small town of Leeville report fewer days of sick leave taken by individual workers than do businesses in the nearby large city of Masonton. Furthermore, Leeville has only one physician for its one thousand residents, but in Masonton the proportion of physicians to residents is five times as high. Finally, the average age of Leeville residents is significantly higher than that of Masonton residents. These findings suggest that the relaxed pace of life in Leeville allows residents to live longer, healthier lives.

Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

The author through his/her argument claims that people living relaxed pace of lives in small towns have better health and greater longevity then people living hectic pace of life in bigger cities. This may or may not be true, but the assumptions made from facts presented by the author can have more then one explanations and hence, render the conclusion incredible.

The first evidence cited by the author is that fewer people take sick leave from work in the small town of Leesville then compared to people working in the nearby larger city of Masonton, and hence assuming people of Leesville are helthier. However the author fails to consider other reasons such as population, naturally a bigger city like Masonton would have more population then Leesville and for this reason Masonton could have more pople reporitng sick for work.

Secondly, the argument states that Masonton has more number of physician per thousand residents then Leesville as an evidence, but again the author has ignored other possible explanations for this. For instance, the profession of a physician is also a business and generally residents of bigger cities are ready to spend more on healthcare then compared to small cities, for this reason more doctors would have settled in Masonton. Father the lack of any evidence has to how many people are being diagnosed of sickness by physicians of either cities only strengthens the alternate explanation.

Lastly, the author mentions that average age of Leesville is lesser then that of Masonton, but fails to consider other reasons for this phenomenon. It is common for young people to move to bigger cities in search of jobs, or for old people to settle in smaller cities after retirement, shifting the average age of a city. Either way average age of an area is not an indicator of longevity, but only indicates the age demography of people living in the said area.

Ultimately, the author is trying to connect what might be true for two nearby towns to rest of the world. Further the evidences cited in the argument can have multiple explanations, explanations which the author has failed to contemplate on. At its present form the conclusion cannot be taken for granted.

more population then Leesville
more population than Leesville

more number of physician per thousand residents then Leesville
more number of physician per thousand residents than Leesville

Sentence: The first evidence cited by the author is that fewer people take sick leave from work in the small town of Leesville then compared to people working in the nearby larger city of Masonton, and hence assuming people of Leesville are helthier.
Error: helthier Suggestion: healthier

Sentence: However the author fails to consider other reasons such as population, naturally a bigger city like Masonton would have more population then Leesville and for this reason Masonton could have more pople reporitng sick for work.
Error: reporitng Suggestion: reporting
Error: pople Suggestion: No alternate word

argument 1 -- not OK. read this: 'days of sick leave taken by individual workers'

argument 2 -- not OK. read this: 'one physician for its one thousand residents'

--------------------