"We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation
The argument assumes that the opening of a cafe will attract more customers and based on this assumptions concludes that the Monarch Books will be able to compete with the Regal Books. Though the argument seems logical, it isn't so. The authors fails to answer many questions that led to the assumptions for eg, he states that the monarch books have a large customer base due to its wide range of books but doesn't give specific information about the customer group. Such unanswered questions make the argument untenable.
The first assumptions the author makes is that the due to...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of f 70
- The most effective way to understand contemporary culture is to analyze the trends of its youth.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In dev 75
- Claim Knowing about the past cannot help people to make important decisions today Reason We are not able to make connections between current events and past events until we have some distance from both Write a response in which you discuss the extent to w 87
- Every individual in a society has a responsibility to obey just laws and to disobey and resist unjust laws.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure 72
- Educational institutions should dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and su 80
Sentence: The argument assumes that the opening of a cafe will attract more customers and based on this assumptions concludes that the Monarch Books will be able to compete with the Regal Books.
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to this and assumptions
argument 1 -- OK
argument 2 -- OK
argument 3 -- OK
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 6 2
No. of Sentences: 21 15
No. of Words: 482 350
No. of Characters: 2405 1500
No. of Different Words: 198 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.686 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.99 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.612 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 165 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 136 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 94 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 62 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 22.952 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 12.465 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.524 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.363 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.565 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.154 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5