Essay topics: Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
The argument states that the woven baskets which were in initially thought to be unique to Palean people were not uniquely Palean because the same baskets were also found in Lithos, an ancient village across Brim River from Palea. The argument contains some logical fallacies which can be corrected by providing some more information.They are :Whether there can be a case where boats were used but not been found and people can have been migrated or baskets cannot have exchanged from Palea to Lithos.
One of the assumption which the author makes is that as boats have not been found so the people might not have crosed the Brim river to travel from Palea to Lithos. For one, people should have used the boats to cross the Brim River but those boats are dismantled or burnt. This can expounded as people of Palea and Lithos who travelled freely from Palea to Lithos and viceversa should have got an internal dispute or some other issue due to which for security reasons the people of individual villages have dismantled the boats and blocked the transportation. So the baskets would have been exchanged from Palea to Lithos earlier before their dispute and from that we can say that woven baskets are unique to Palea and Lithos have got the baskets from Palea. For strengthing the argument the author neded to provide information that there can be no way that boats are burned.
Finally, the author overlooks that there might have been any migration before river has formed or before the river has been so deep that transportation is difficult. During this time the people of Palea already made baskets and so after migration of people from Palea to Lithos, the baskets were bought from Palea to Lithos.In order to strengthen the argument the author needs to mention that the migration has not occured before the river was formed or that the baskets were made when crossing the river has been difficult.
Conclusively, author overlooks some of the statements and assumes the argument is sound to prove his conclusion.However, there were some of the assumptions which author makes without providing any justification. Indeed the argument can be strenghtened by provdidng some information regarding whether there can be a case where boats were used but not been found and people cannot have been migrated or baskets cannot have exchanged from Palea to Lithos.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|6 days 8 hours ago||rabindra||50||Read full essay|
|1 week 4 days ago||mahm||58||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 6 hours ago||skylarzjy||58||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 5 days ago||PrincewillOkosun||62||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 6 days ago||kook||58||Read full essay|
|1 month 7 hours ago||Sai sushma||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 7 hours ago||ken10091995||60||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||bmartinurcelay||45||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||Shrew||59||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||Kamalkhan||33||Read full essay|
- "According to a recent report by our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen produced movies than in any other year. And yet the percentage of positive reviews by movie reviewers about specific Super Screen movies ac (50)
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition. (33)
- "Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increasingly more time to covering national news and less time to covering weather and local news. During the same time period, most of the complaints we received from viewers were concerned wit (53)
- A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position (58)
- A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position (50)
- In surveys Mason City residents rank water sports (swimming, boating and fishing) among their favorite recreational activities. The Mason River flowing through the city is rarely used for these pursuits, however, and the city park department devotes littl (50)
- Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa (45)