In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.
I can agree up to the certain point with claim that it is impossible to contribute to the field not being influenced by predecessors and consider that this tendency is becoming more and more applicable to our contemporaneity.
Doubtless, all scientific papers of our time are supposed to have reference or literature part, where the author notes all past achievements that were used and considered. Modern scientists in any field always cite and quote others, and refer to the works either of their peers or forerunners. Otherwise, they may be accused of plagiarism and cheating.
To illustrate this point one may remember Italian saying “there is nothing new which would not have happened before”. This leads us to believe that everything has been found out and nothing absolutely new can be achieved.
Confucius well-known proverb rightfully corroborates this: “The young will surpass the old, the students will surpass the teachers and as in the Yangtze River the waves behind drive on those before”. In view of these words, it is quite likely to consider that even at Confucius times idea that student should refer to his or her gurus or advisors and, surely, is effected by them. For example, the impact of Socrates on Plato, Aristotle and other philosophers cannot be underestimated: in many Plato’s famous dialogues he reproduced the conversation between him and Socrates, consequently, many of Socrates thoughts would remain unknown if not for his followers.
However, it cannot be denied that some fields, some theories and some movements had their first founder as “miracles do not come from the blue”. Nonetheless, I can reasonably assume that there existed even forefathers of founders. To proof this one may direct to the most ancient manuscripts and documents that allude at least to Bible, Homer or Aesop.
What conclusions can be drawn from all this? Generally, I agree that it’s almost impossible to discover something absolutely new, but “never say never”, this is too categorical, and it may happen that some thought may appear only at once and at one mind, it would be unfair not to mention that apple felled on Newton’s head and not on someone else’s.
- To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In deve 60
- As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoni 47
- In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement 67
- Claim: In any field—business, politics, education, government—those in power should step down after five years.Reason: The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership.Write a response in which you discuss the extent 74
- The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal."A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situ 40
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 4.5 out of 6
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 14 15
No. of Words: 359 350
No. of Characters: 1764 1500
No. of Different Words: 219 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.353 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.914 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.701 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 117 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 88 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 66 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 44 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 25.643 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 12.551 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.5 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.292 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.633 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.066 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 6 5