Claim Even though young people often receive the advice to follow your dreams more emphasis should be placed on picking worthy goals Reason Many people s dreams are inherently selfish Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or

Claim: Even though young people often receive the advice to “follow your dreams,” more emphasis should be placed on picking worthy goals.

Reason: Many people’s dreams are inherently selfish.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim AND the reason on which that claim is based.

In this argument, the author is of the opinion that young people should focus on achieving worthy goals rather than just following their dreams. The author's reasoning for the claim is that most people's dreams are selfish. Although true to a certain extent, I believe that young people should 'follow their dreams' rather than emphasizing on achieving worthy goals.

While it may be true that worthy goals appear more realistic and achievable, "following one's dreams" definitely make the person more determined. Since the person is more determined, he/she will work harder than ever to achieve that dream. For instance, consider a youngster whose dream is to become a good football player. Although some may argue that such a dream is highly non-plausible, the youngster may be resolved to follow his dream. He may work hard in training and it may happen that he becomes a good football player.

On the other side, it is quite likely that restricting oneself to achieving worthy goals may hamper one's progress in one or more aspects of life. Such worthy goals, though realistic, may make a person less determined. In short, it may unnecessarily limit one's progress because one has never exploited one's full potential to achieve one's dreams.

The author reasons that many people's dreams are inherently selfish. This is most likely to be true. But I disagree with the claim that such selfishness is the reason why young people should focus on achieving worthy goals rather than "follow their dreams".

After all, such selfishness is the prime reason for making a person more resolute to achieve his/her dreams. This, in turn makes the person more sincere and hard-working. Additionally, such selfishness brings out the best in person. This is true because such a determined person wants to succeed in achieving his dreams at any cost.

To conclude, young people should definitely "follow their dreams" instead of limiting themselves to achieving more worthy goals. Such dreams make young people more resolute which in turn results in progress, either directly or indirectly.