The following is a letter to the editor of an environmental magazine.
"Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were abundant numbers of each species. However, in 2002 only four species of amphibians were observed in the park, and the numbers of each species were drastically reduced. One proposed explanation is that the decline was caused by the introduction of trout into the park's waters, which began in 1975. (Trout are known to eat amphibian eggs.)"
Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.
The author attributes the decline in amphibian population and specie number to the introduction of trout to park water. The trouts are known to eat amphibian eggs. However, the author does not consider other potential factors that could bring about a decline in the number of species and their population. This essay suggests other possible reasons for this decline.
Environmental and habitat conditions such as climate, temperature, humidity, water acidity etc. may be responsible for the decline in amphibians, especially the number of species. Perhaps certain species are well adapted to these ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- Claim: We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from those whose views contradict our own.Reason: Disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagre 90
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree 65
- Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoni 10
- The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint 57
- Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be 64
Sentence: Species possessing features that enhance survival in their habitat are more likely to succeed over those who do not possess these favorable feature, and this may ultimately lead to their decline over time as explained by Darwinian thoery of evolution.
Error: thoery Suggestion: theory
Sentence: Secondly, as the amphibian population begins to grow over time, it may begin to experience overpopulation and overcrowding issues if their habitats are not adjusted to accomodate their population rise.
Error: accomodate Suggestion: accommodate
Sentence: Perhaps if there is a disproportiante prevalence of male amphibians over their female counterpart, there may result a decline in the reproduction rate as there may not be enough female amphibians available to lay new eggs.
Error: disproportiante Suggestion: disproportionate
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 3 2
No. of Sentences: 18 15
No. of Words: 432 350
No. of Characters: 2274 1500
No. of Different Words: 189 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.559 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.264 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.908 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 171 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 145 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 97 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 80 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 24 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 10.625 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.778 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.385 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.628 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.155 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 6 5