'The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.“Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this time period, most of the com

'The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.

“Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this time period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station’s coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have just canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to the program and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should restore the time devoted to weather and local news to its former level.”

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence would be needed in order to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The following argument, while making the case of complaints from local viewer, and cancellation of contract with local advertising agency , does gives us the aftermath of reducing the local content and weather news, . But to solely attribute those very effects to the reason for loss of viewership or advertising revenue does not seems valid. In the argument, nowhere it is mentioned regarding the viewership at national level, any new advertising contract with national advertisers and whether the effect of national news in late night hours have a negative or a positive impact on total viewership. All that we know is, that there is a complaint from local people and cancellation of local advertising contracts.

The argument states that, over the period of time when they devoted more time to national news in late night hours and reduction in local and weather news, they recieved complaints regarding the same. This may not result in loss of viewership, as there might be a decline in the number of local viewership, overall viewerhip might increase due to increase in numbers of those interested in national news. Till we do not know the effect of this move on total number of viewership, we can not make any conclusions regarding attracting more viewers. We know that number of national viewers far out number local viewers,and there is a possibility that, this move might be beneficial in longer run. But for reaching any conlusions as such, the argument must present us with data of total viewership indicating the percentage of local viewers and national.

The argument also says that local advertising agencies of canceled the contract with them, but it is no where mentioned that what percentage of revenue come from local advertisers and if they are the major source of income to them. The argument must display data regarding the number of national advertisers with them, and if there is an increase in the contracts with national advertiser. Unless and until we dont know the revenue pattern of the television station, adopting the case for increase in local content might not be as benificial.

The television station must also do a study regarding the total number of national viewers as compared to total number of local viewers. This will only help them in deciding which strategy will be better. As there might be case that national viewers are left wanting due to most stations displaying local content and the television station might get fruits from targeting those national audience. This will also result in increase in contract with national advertisers and the revenue might be even more due to higher level of business at the national level.

Plainly basing the action of restoring local and weather news just from a local perspective may not be able to attract more viewers and revenue. Looking and studying upon more data, such as national viewership, possible advertising contracts with national advertiser will help the business manager of the station manager take more comprehensive decision as to what will be more beneficial, local or national content.

Sentence: The argument states that, over the period of time when they devoted more time to national news in late night hours and reduction in local and weather news, they recieved complaints regarding the same.
Error: recieved Suggestion: received

Sentence: But for reaching any conlusions as such, the argument must present us with data of total viewership indicating the percentage of local viewers and national.
Error: conlusions Suggestion: conclusions

Sentence: Unless and until we dont know the revenue pattern of the television station, adopting the case for increase in local content might not be as benificial.
Error: benificial Suggestion: beneficial

No. of Words: 508 350 (maybe less content in introduction paragraph)