Some people believe that the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit. Others believe that formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.
Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.
Some people contend that the formal education would set our minds and spirits free whereas others argue that formal education would restrain our minds and spirits. Admittedly, both ideas are equally important, and, in fact, history informs us that these two approaches are mutually exclusive. However, as far as formal education is defined as public education and not education at cramming schools, the idea that formal education would restrict our minds and spirits is more crucial.
The opponents to my viewpoint may insist that formal education can expand people’s knowledge equally. Even though students are poor, they can take a certain level of education. Moreover, if they seek to study further, they can take upper-level education by receiving a scholarship. It is definitely true that everyone can take public education with the little amount of money; however, acquiring knowledge does not guarantee formal education would set our minds and spirits free. Let us clarify this point by using several point of views.
First, public educations are usually censored by governments; therefore, students often fail to acquire comprehensive knowledge. Most Chinese students do not recognize China as a capitalism country but a socialism country due to Chinese public education. Japanese students tend to lack Japanese negative historical part, especially after the beginning of World War Second. Korean students have learned distorted historical facts about the invasion by Japan during World War Second. Hence, it is obvious that governments control public educations.
Second, public educations are score centered education. Students need to take a lot of exams to pursue their education. Students need to take SAT and ACT to enter undergraduate school. GRE or GMAT are mandatory for most students who seek further study in graduate schools. Addition to these standardized tests, students need to pass mid-term and final exams to pursue their higher grades. Not only the education in the United States, but also other countries’ education are exam centered. For instance, Japanese students also have mid-term and final exams and need to take several distinct standardized tests to enter even junior high school. Students recognize their academic achievement by their scores by following public education. Hence, public education would provide the education for exams, not for “think out of the box”.
I strongly assert that formal education would restrain students’ minds and spirits because this education is biased by government and students would concentrate on only exams. Some people may challenge to this idea by referring to the opportunity of acquiring knowledge; nevertheless, knowing does not guarantee the free spirits and minds.
- The following appeared in a memorandum from the owner of Movies Galore, a chain of movie- rental stores."Because of declining profits, we must reduce operating expenses at Movie Galore's ten movie-rental stores. Raising prices is not a good option, since 90
- Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take In developing and supp 75
- The following appeared in a letter from the owner of the Sunnyside Towers apartment complex to its manager."Last week, all the showerheads in the first three buildings of the Sunnyside Towers complex were modified to restrict maximum water flow to one-thi 72
- The human mind will always be superior to machines because machines are only tools of human minds.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In d 57
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region experienc 70
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 4.5 out of 6
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 24 15
No. of Words: 422 350
No. of Characters: 2267 1500
No. of Different Words: 206 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.532 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.372 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.616 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 181 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 141 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 105 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 68 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 17.583 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 6.416 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.667 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.331 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.529 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.122 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5