Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take In developing an

Students should be able to understand what they are being taught instead of just accepting blinding to whatever comes their way. However, questioning should be reasonable and rationale where understanding why something is being taught and how they can learn and grow from it.

Questioning what and why things are being taught helps in developing critical thinking, a skill crucial for problem solving that can occur in our personal and professional life. This in turn would aid in personal and professional development where one will be able to critically think about issues, and problem solve them with ease. However, when students do not question what they are taught and blinding follow the curriculum set out, it leaves little room for growth and development.

For example, if a college student is studying to be an accountant and is required to take up finance and accounting modules, it is obvious that the student does not need to question why they are being taught such subjects. They would most likely already understand that because they want to pursue an accounting career, therefore they need to learn the technical skills that accountancy requires.

On the other hand, if an accounting student is required to take up an arts management module, it will raise an eyebrow or two. Therein lies the need to question, within reason, why an accounting student is made to take a subject unrelated to their field of study. It could be that the school wants students to take up unrelated subjects in order to have a more wholesome college experience. This would in turn broaden their scope of studies and help them cultivate an appreciation for diversity.

When students constantly question what and why they are being taught certain things, it develops a habit of proactiveness and staying curious. The notion of staying curious helps in developing an understanding of more topics, and will also help in deeper thinking. Combined this with critical thinking and problem solving, when faced with an issue, one will be able to be rational and reasonable in making decisions. A characteristic that is important

To sum, when students are able to question within reason about what and why they are being taught things, it will help to develop and hone skills such as critical thinking and problem solving. It would also help students to cultivate a habit of being proactive in asking questions, and to constantly stay curious to learn about things. I believe this is very important not only for professional but also personal development.