All college and university students would benefit from spending at least one semester studying in a foreign country Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the posit

The claim that allowing all students to embark on at least one semester overseas exchange programme will benefit them, is one that I agree with, however it might not benefit all students. My reasons will be stated and explained in the following paragraphs.

By sending students to foreign countries, they will be exposed to different cultures different to theirs. Often they get to develop broader perspectives, understanding the need to respect other cultures, and gain appreciation for disparity. For instance, during my polytechnic days, I had the opportunity to go to Finland for an exchange programme for a semester. There I learnt that many students usually pack food from home when they go to school. In Singapore (where I am from), however, food is readily available and very much affordable – with 3 Singapore dollars you are able to get a plate of chicken rice that usually comes with a small bowl of soup. Whereas in Finland, I recall a meal could cost me a minimum of 10 euros. This had help med gain an appreciation in the disparity of food culture from these two very different countries. It also helped me to appreciate the convenience I have back in Singapore, where I don’t need to spend additional time to prepare my food to bring to school.

From my example of a meal costing a minimum of 10 euros, it can be expensive to live abroad. Fortunately, I was able to get financial aid from my polytechnic where I was a given a monthly allowance which covered at least 90% of my total expenses when I was in Finland for six months. However, not all students are able to seek financial aid, or are able to self-fund overseas exchange programmes. Therefore, I do not agree that all students will be able to benefit from overseas programmes. The money that they spend for the overseas trip could be put to better use in their home country. For example, signing up for tuition classes, or taking up additional courses that could help them further their academics.

Another benefit to students will be the further development of empathy, a powerful characteristic that can help make a person and the society at large better. Empathy is not taught in textbooks unlike biology modules. I recall encountering a racist incident that hit home very hard for me. It was during this small gathering where there were a wide variety of exchange students from Europe, South America, and Asia. I overheard a conversation going on where a Czech students introduced a Chinese student to a Brazilian student. The Brazilian student was so shocked to hear the Chinese student speak perfect English without any accent. He said “Oh wow! You speak such good English for a Chinese person!”. I was taken aback because I had never encountered such racist remarks from someone whose first language is not English. Although she was a stranger, I went up to the Chinese student to talk to her about what had just happened and tried to empathise with her on how she felt. My only regret was not standing up for her. In such cases, I believe it had benefited me because I developed a deeper empathy for others, including strangers. In the same vein, going to a foreign land could also expose students to racism. Often students might be able to overcome such unfair life incidents, however some might not. Therefore, not all students might be able to benefit from going on an overseas study programme.

In sum, with my reasons stated above, I do believe an overseas exchange programme for at least a semester will benefit students, but not all students, in an array of different characteristics and qualities.