In this age of intensive media coverage, it is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for t

In this age of intensive media coverage, it is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

In history, the only events that warranted media coverage were those of high importance to the entire nation, such as presidential elections. Now there is extensive media coverage of every popular event. In addition to coverage of popular events, people of interest such as celebrities and politicians are constantly bombarded with reporters and media crews. It is nearly impossible for a person in the public eye to keep any secrets, causing them to be susceptible to judgment from every citizen with a TV or radio. It could be argued that given so little privacy, it would be impossible for anyone to be revered as a hero. With their entire lives on display, people of public interest are subject to more scrutiny than ever before. While this holds true, it is also true that people of today’s society are more accustomed to accepting the whole picture. People of today’s society are able to accept that even a hero is not perfect.

For example, scandals committed by politicians have been brought to light by extensive media coverage. Politicians who held office prior to the rise of media would not have been scrutinized so closely and may have had an easier time keeping up appearances with the public. George Bush is one of the recent examples of a politician who had to answer for their actions on live TV. With the knowledge of his scandal the public was forced to make a decision about his character. Although he did not lead the most honest personal life, may still say that he was a successful president. Today’s society is more accustomed to being exposed to the whole picture, and the ugly parts of a person that may have remained hidden if it were not for media. Therefore, the public is desensitized and is more likely to be accepting of a person and their mistakes. Had a similar scandal been exposed in early history it is likely that the citizens would not have been so accepting and the person in question would have been completely discredited.

Additionally, media today often gives a bad image to cohorts as a whole, such a police officers. Internet videos of police brutality go viral nearly every day; these videos make it increasingly difficult to see the good nature that most cops possess. Honest police officers are subject to disapproval from the public due to the actions of a small population of dishonest officers. Such a bad reputation could easily undermine the heroics of other honest police officers. Despite the prevalence of negative media coverage there are still popular stories of heroic acts committed by police officer and firemen that sweep the nation and restore faith in our heroes.

Despite the negative coverage that the public is bombarded with by the media it is not impossible for some to be admired as heroes. Due to more transparency and increased media coverage the public is more able to take the bad with the good. People realize more now than ever that a hero is not entirely perfect. Today’s true heroes are loved and honored despite the negative coverage they may receive from the press.

The introduction is too long. Don't develop ideas from the introduction paragraph.