In any situation progress requires discussion among people who have contrasting points of view

In any situation, progress requires discussion among people who have contrasting points of view.

Some people might assert that hearing opposing point of views is important in order to fare in any situation, while others might say that just listening to yourself is crucial. In my opinion, I mostly agree with the assertion that having people with different contrasting views and hearing them out is what make an individual progress. I believe this for two reasons.

Firstly, having people around with an opinion different than yourself keeps person from subtlety moving towards superciliousness and complacency. Whenever people are reluctant to change their opinion, it draws them away from the social circle, and in such situations even a small progress makes individuals feel presumptuous and overconfident – that acts as a major setback for them in the long run. For instance – managers who don’t listen to thoughts and process of their subordinate might hit a hunch and might produce positive outcomes few times, but usually it secludes them from their team which gives rise to situations where subordinates, even knowing that a decision by manager would be a fail, don’t put their opinion forward. Thus without having contrasting point of view works insidiously for individuals who are self-satisfied with whatever they are doing.

Secondly, single point of view makes situation at hand feel more like a job rather than a process to learn. Thus individuals who don’t listen to other develop a banal habit that makes them try to progress with same method in totally different situations. They think that a process and thinking that has produced a satisfactory result once, would work in utterly different scenario as well. Take an example of a musician who tries his hand in every genre of music without any guidance of people working in the genre of years, unless such people are some sort of prodigy – do you think that these individual will learn and progress? Thus an innovative side and a hunger to learn comes only when there are people guiding us at the time when we take wrong turn. These opinions makes a situation at hand look more like an activity to do the best rather than a banal and perfunctory job.
On the other hand, some people might say that opposing point of views often lead to deadlocks as multiple contrasting point of view make it hard to decide which road to follow. But these assertion seem right only at neophytes stage when nobody involved in the discussion know when it is better to take a stand on one opinion and move forward with it or when to just let more opinions float. More opinions can never fail individuals who listen to them as most of the surprises that might put a hurdle in their path get covered in the discussions itself. Moreover, an innovativeness remains in the task when it gets participation from several people.