The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its role models

The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its role models.

Each country has its own character, from their own specific type of government or the sort of industry it supports. Values that are significant to the people can be vividly presented in the heroes crowned as role models to public. However, is having a greater understanding of a country's heroes the best way to understand the country's character?

In Taiwan, the people determined as heroes embody the nation's values. The most evident one would be the late Lee Teng-hui, who first promoted democracy over authoritarian rule. His legacy has been brought down generations till the first female president in Taiwan–President Tsai Ing-wen, who proudly represents the gradual evolution of gender equality in a once male-dominated society. Another role model popular these days is Audrey Tang, Taiwan's first transgender minister, who developed advanced technology to enable communication between the government and the people, ensuring that people's voices are heard. These examples corroborate the fact that Taiwan is a country that values open-mindedness, freedom, and self-governance.

Looking to the west, the United States also has similar heroes which uphold nation-wide values. Martin Luther King Jr., whose "I have a dream" speech moved not only United States citizens but also people worldwide to concentrate on racial issues. Another role model, President Abraham Lincoln, is also connected to black rights, as he urges for the abolishment of slavery at the cost of his own life. Till now, the United States finally has their first black president–Barack Obama, the very evidence of how America has changed to further encompass "freedom and justic for all" to those of different races.

Seeing the above, it seems that heroes can represent a country's values. However, same cannot always be said of authoritarian countries such as North Korea. In North Korea, its citizens are unable to choose their own heroes, for Kim Jong-Un represents the only acceptable role model of the people. Stripped of their own free will, North Koreans are forced to bow down to a dictator who does not value the voices of its people. In such cases, the society is unable to choose their own heroes, and we would fail to understand the character of that particular society in this way.

In order to truly understand a society, it is plausible to assume that those who are admired are those who represent that society. However, for people under dictatorship, it is undoubtedly not the best way to gain knowledge on a country's character.