Claim An action is morally correct if the amount of good that results from the action is greater than the amount of bad that results from the action Reason When assessing the morality of an action the results of an action are more important than the inten

Claim: An action is morally correct if the amount of good that results from the action is greater than the amount of bad that results from the action.
Reason: When assessing the morality of an action, the results of an action are more important than the intent of the person or people performing that action.

We live in a world where most people have hidden motives behind every action they perform. They constantly ploy with such subtleties that, unless analysed very carefully, their actions possess a sanctimonious vibe. Some people assert that if actions of people are bringing amass of good, then the bad that ensues along with such actions isn’t that important to consider. In my opinion, I partially disagree with the assertion that bad is offset by the good and hence not important. I believe this for two reasons.

To begin, actions that look morally correct at a superficial layer can have insidious affects which bombastically come in front at the time when its already too late to retract. Such actions not only strengthen a view that general mass can easily be lured by offering some short term advantages, but it also aggrandises such people to perform similar actions intermittently. By there dubious actions, these people learn the trick to absolve themselves in the eyes of general public whenever they are found guilty. For instance – a politician, when at the time of election lures citizens by offering them various kinds of benefits, he creates an environment that turns the odds in his favour to win, but once such a hypocrite candidates win, they just fill there own pockets and do not care about anyone else. Thus, a view among public that “moral ground of action exonerates all the sullen after effects”, only leads them towards draconian path.

Additionally, when consequences of “morally good” actions are disregarded, people subtly starts adjusting to the severe side effects of such actions – which were not even existing in the first place. Such an environment generates copious amount of problem to deal with in a fast pacing world, where there isn’t enough time to sit and relax even for a minute. Take an example of a factory that is known to remiss from incorporating a proper waste treatment procedure in its plant, but since such factory has made promise to hire 50% of locals, people try to adjust themselves with whatever harmful effects the untreated waste is bringing to their environment. Some might star to wear mask, if waster is being burnt in open air, others might start drinking bottles water instead of opting for tapped water that comes from river where such waste was dumped etc.,. Thus, such action inundates people with extra problems to deal with, and people who act as aide can inveritably be our biggest adversaries.

On the other hand, there are certain actions of where moral grounds is eminent than the bad that brings with it. For instance – consider a blind man crossing a road and a person driving a car parks the car in middle of the road in such a way that his car impedes any following car to move ahead before the man crossing the road crosses it. In such circumstances, although it can make a road to block for several minutes but the moral ground becomes way more important as the person was able to save a human life. Such actions not only help the society to remain little humane but they also create a positive vibe through out the society, and such vibes in the long run makes people follow similar footsteps – when they see the approbations resulting from such actions.

In conclusion, the issue stated above is complex to choose a single side, as nature the consequences of actions can turn table onto either side. Thus a morally correct action that offers a lot of benefit, in spite of creating not so halcyon situations can sometimes be beneficial and some time it must be rejected as soon as identified.