The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants Recently butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States This change however has had little impact

The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants.
"Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that an average of 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many servers have reported that a number of customers who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead. Clearly, either these customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine."
Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

According to the memorandum, business manager of Happy Pancake restaurants assert that customers dining in their restaurants do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term ‘butter’ to refer to both. He bases it upon fact that replacing butter with margarine in all its southwestern United states had a trifling impact on customers – as very few complained about the change. However, before the validity of argument made by manager can be assessed, two alternate explanations should be analysed.

Firstly, explanation could be that customers of southwestern state are are known to adjust to the situation, and rather than being pugnacious they are known of their friendliness in entire hospitality industry in the country. Perhaps, customers might have discerned that they are being served margarine instead of butter but just to avoid an argument they started adjusting to the change. Or maybe the customers of that region are quite shy, and just out of hesitation and self consciousness they are eating margarine. If any of the above scenario is valid, then the manager’s explanation is considerably weakened.

Moreover, another explanation can be that customers like the new taste, complemented by adding margarine, being offered and though they know they are not being served butter they didn’t carp about it. For instance – customers of south western towns are so used to eating butter that once they were offered an entire new option they adapted it. Or maybe the customer had an anecdotal thought about the taste of margarine but now after eating it, their doubts have been cleared. If such is the case, then argument made by the business manager doesn’t hold water.

In conclusion, the explanation proposed as it stands now, is significantly flawed, due to its ignorance of several alternate explanations. If the evidence for other alternative explanations are provided, and perhaps a significant study is conducted to analyse them, then position made by business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants can be properly judged.