Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation must be the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.Reason: Great achievements by a nation's rulers, artists, or scientists will ensure a good life for the majority of that nation's people.Write a r

Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation must be the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.

Reason: Great achievements by a nation's rulers, artists, or scientists will ensure a good life for the majority of that nation's people.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

The prompt claims that achievements of nation's rulers, artists, or scientists is surest indicator of great nation based on the reason that such achievements will ensure a good life to majority of its people. According to me, even though the above mentioned achievements do contribute to a great nation, they may not always lead to benefits for the majority as assumed in the reason. Ensuring the well being and happiness of citizens is the surest indicator of a great nation.

Admittedly, achievements of rulers, artists and scientists are one of the indicators of great nation. For example, Great Britian become on the most prosperous and mighty empires in the world consisting of number of colonies for two hundred years. It is largely because of the enormous achievements of its rulers and various scientific discoveries made as part of industrial revolution such as steam engine, cotton gin, etc. It ensured that the sun never sets in British empire.

However, it does not mean all these achievements have infact ensured good life for majority of people of a country. Take for instance Britian during nineteenth century was described by its ex-PM Disraeli as consisting of two naTions, one small rich nation and another large poor nation. Similarly, consider the case of developing country like India. It boasts of numerous achievements by its rulers, artists and scientists like Jawaharlal Nehru, M.F. Hussain, Tagore, C.V. Raman, etc. Yet, the nation is plagued by numerous problems like poverty, unemployment, disease and very low ranking in the human development index. Thus, achievements alone are not surest indicators of great nation.

On the other hand, we have a countries like Bhutan, DEnmark, Norway and New Zealand where they are not actually known for their achievements in political, artistic or scientific fields, but boast of some of the best living standards and known for the their happiness quotient. These are the nations which are progressive and great as they ensure well-being and happiness of their people.

In conclusion, a surest indicator or holistic measure of greatness cannot be based on achievements by rulers, artists, or scientists. They are necessary but not sufficient factors for ensuring well being of people which is the surest indicator.

Sentence: However, it does not mean all these achievements have infact ensured good life for majority of people of a country.
Error: infact Suggestion: in fact

No. of Words: 366