Educational institutions should dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed

Educational institutions should dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

There are various goals for educational institutions, and they teach students with various approaches. Some people say that the institutions need to discourage students to study what they cannot learn well for efficiency and effectiveness. However, I do not agree with the opinion. I insist that educational institutions should not dissuade their students to study a certain field due to the low possibility to succeed in the field.

Firstly, estimating students’ abilities is not easy work. Especially, schools use confined ways to evaluate a large number of students – such as exams, and the evaluation systems are never perfect. Sometimes they wrongly evaluate their students due to unreasonable evaluating criteria or students’ abrupt bad body conditions. If teachers judge their students with exam scores and prevent them from studying a field where students could not get a high score, students may lose their chances to find their possibly undiscovered talents in the field. Thus, as educational institutions may fail to properly estimate their students, discouraging the students to study a field with a low possibility of success in the field is not a good idea.

Secondly, strong interests in a field can lead students to succeed in the field. For example, there might be a student who is not good at science during his junior year. However, all of sudden, he may face a moment that stimulates him to study science. Then, he will put a lot of time and effort to study the field, and it may lead him to be able to succeed in the field. If schools dissuaded him to study science due to the not outstanding score during his junior year, he would never have chance of success. As students can change the possibility to succeed in a field through their efforts, I insist that schools should not dissuade them to study a field with their current abilities.

For those who set the utmost goal of teaching to lead students to find a study field that they are most likely to be successful in, they may agree with the given prompt. However, as it is difficult to evaluate students’ abilities and they can improve their abilities with their will, I would like to say that it is not desirable for educational institutions to dissuade students to study a field due to the low possibility to succeed in the field.