Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain y

Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

The approach of an active government towards a functioning, solving problems, forming strategies, and execution signifies the strength of the government. There are various goals a government might have: Development, a better quality of life for people, a good education system, etc. A government responsibility covers a large range of sectors such as defense, national security, finances, etc. To address each of these sectors, to focus on improvement and solving the existing problems the government allocates time and resources accordingly. How these resources are spent is an important factor that affects the development of the nation as a whole.

I do not completely agree with the claim that government should focus only on solving the immediate problems of today rather than spending some efforts on trying to form solutions for anticipated problems of the future. One reason is that it is equally important to predict what could cause a potential problem in the future and start working on it before the problem hits us. The result of it would be that the impact that the problem would have may not be completely avoided but we can diminish it. Even when we are working on something today based on experiences, we can predict what the potential future problems might be. Let us take an example –
A country is facing problems due to the outbreak of a disease, all efforts are currently being concentrated on finding a vaccine to treat the disease or prevent it from happening. After some time and a lot of effort spent, a vaccine is available. Now one problem about finding the vaccine has been solved but there are a new set of problems that need to be addressed. The country does not have enough companies who could produce these vaccines so even though the cure is ready we still cannot make it available to people readily. Now the focus would be on finding a solution to the production problem.
What could have been done to solve this? Even though the government knew this would happen they did not plan for it they concentrated only on the problem at hand. Instead of a complete focus on finding the vaccine if the government could have spent x% of resources on finding a solution to the production problem the situation could have been better.

Another reason why working on anticipated problems is better is because it helps us break or at least shorten the cycle of problems. We focus on the matter at hand and find solutions, now a new issue stems from it, we again spend efforts on it. The cycle of problems arising, and the efforts spent on their solutions is ever-lasting. By thinking about what a problem might be later and preparing for it we would save valuable time when the problem arises. Some would argue that sometimes the problems at hand are exigent enough to not leave any time for concentrating on the anticipated ones. At such times we should figure out the priorities and work accordingly. If a current problem demands all resources to be spent on it is alright to pull out some resources allocated to solving the future problems.

So, it is better to anticipate problems well before they occur so that we will have a solution ready when the problem arrives, we can tackle it better. We might not always find solutions but at least we would not be completely surprised and be mentally ready to face it.