In order for any work of art for example a film a novel a poem or a song to have merit it must be understandable to most people Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning f

In order for any work of art — for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song — to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

It is a common argument between people that whether the art should be appealing to all or exclusive to few. In my opinion, the art shouldn’t be encouraged to be demotic, otherwise quality of the art would be lost, and the art would digress from its purpose.

When it comes to complicated tastes, everybody’s tastes are refined in a separate way, and limiting the art to be appealing for the most people would cultivate superficial and vapid art pieces. No two man are equal in the tastes, and this isn’t different in the art. Since everybody’s likings are different, an art piece requires to be built on very basic themes – action, love, death - and styles in order to be popular for all. The limitation mentioned would inhibit the ardor behind the art and ruin its beloved magic. The Hollywood movies are good examples of the movies the most appealing for all. They are devoid of any complex scheme, they always use the same formula since it is known that it works, the action and the love are the only main themes. Henceforth, the art might have to compromise between quality and popularity if it is limited to be popular.

Moreover, the art comes from the spirit of its creator, and as a result, it is intrinsically personal, not relatable to the public. The art pieces are created by authors by the personal reasons, and every art piece could be considered as an allegory to the soul of its creator, which is an important part of the allure. The art becomes more meaningful, if the viewer experienced or observed the feelings instilled upon it. Coercing the art to become relatable by many would force the creators to use more common themes to be used, which would inhibit the creation of specialized pieces, instead of personal themes, and thus the art wouldn’t be a personal journey it was supposed to be anymore.

Undeniably, an art piece can be both great and appealing to the most people, and based on that, some can state that a popular and successful piece is better than the successful and specialized. Certainly, there are a lot of masterpieces that can be understood and appreciated by many, such as Shakespeare’s plays, and existence of these pieces are also important for the art. However, the art specialized and refined for minorities are also important and subsumes a unique taste to the art.

To conclude, the art can have merit without becoming popular, and urge to become popular can lessen the beauty of the art and divest its allure. However, the popular and great pieces are also important as the refined art pieces.