True beauty is found not in the exceptional but in the commonplace Write an essay in which you take a position on the statement above In developing and supporting your essay consider instances in which the statement does and does not hold true

“True beauty is found not in the exceptional but in the commonplace.”
Write an essay in which you take a position on the statement above. In developing and
supporting your essay, consider instances in which the statement does and does not hold
true.

Beauty, by definition, is that which moves us or impacts us significantly. Some would argue that
beauty is found everywhere, from the flowers to the stars. But others would state that true beauty
is found only in rare, special instances. After weighing the evidence, it is certain that beauty is the province of the exceptional, not the commonplace. People are moved most by things that they rarely experience, not the things they experience every day.
Those that would argue that true beauty is everywhere might point to the beauty of a flower, or the starlit night. These experiences are certainly common, but do they show that true beauty is commonplace? Flowers might be considered beautiful, but how often does a person stop to look at or appreciate every flower? Flowers are so common that in many cases, they are ignored or viewed as nothing special. However, on those rare occasions—exceptional occasions, one might say—when we want to commemorate an event or express emotion, we notice the beauty of flowers.
Thus, it is not the commonplace flower that strikes us as beautiful, but the exceptional situations themselves that move us to appreciate the flower.
Now consider the exceptional. Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa is surely one of the most
exceptional, and beautiful, paintings ever created. Few people who view the painting are not moved by the sheer beauty of it, and the Mona Lisa is instantly recognized as a masterpiece of art. And yet, there have been literally millions of paintings produced in human history. Is every single one of them beautiful? Does every one of those paintings have the impact that da Vinci’s does? Of course not. In order to find beauty, we must separate the exceptional cases from the common ones.
True beauty is such because it stands out from the masses of the average and pedestrian.
Like da Vinci’s Mona Lisa, the cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris is an exceptional, and
exceptionally beautiful, object. Churches and cathedrals line the streets of most major cities in
Western Europe, but few possess the renown of Notre Dame, one of the most beautiful cathedrals
in the world. Compared to a common church or cathedral, Notre Dame is truly awe-inspiring;
Victor Hugo used the building as the backdrop for his magnificent book The Hunchback of Notre
Dame and thousands of tourists travel untold miles to view the cathedral. That sort of beauty is
not possessed by just any church on the corner.
In conclusion, it’s clear that true beauty is found not in the commonplace, but in the exceptional.
The Mona Lisa and Notre Dame Cathedral are both exceptional examples of fairly commonplace
things and it is these exceptions that are noted as truly beautiful. If anything, the commonplace
serves only as a contrast so that we can understand what true beauty really is.