In some countries, young people are encouraged to work and travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies.Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

In some countries, young people are encouraged to work and travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies.
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

The period between terminating high school and beginning to study at university is a very important transition stage. In some countries, young students are cheered up to work or travel over the period of a year before attending the university. In my opinion, the advantages of doing this outweigh the disadvantages.

Admittedly, it is undeniable that when young people decide to do this, they may have to face with many problems and risks. For instance, they may have to work 10 hours a day and it can lead to their health deterioration. Ironically, only when they go to work or travel, can they know how to overcome the difficulties in their life and become more mature. Moreover, by dint of working and traveling, they also learn to take care of themselves as well as live independently. Therefore, they will adapt better to the life in university.

On the other hand, it is also believed that because of graduating later than others at the same age, young student may miss the chance to start their career early. As a result, they may lose many job opportunities. Nevertheless, by virtue of working and traveling at their early age, they can accumulate a lot of knowledge and experience, which is very useful for their future job. In addition, they will be given easier access to strengthen their soft skill, which is helpful for their university studies. For example, my cousin in Germany spent a year to work in a restaurant, before starting his university course and he found that his communication skills had improved a lot.

In conclusion, by considering both advantages and disadvantages, I think it would be better for young people to spend a year to do some jobs or visit somewhere before getting started university curriculum.