Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course i

Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer.
What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university.

In every country, universities always play a very important role in supplying high quality labor force for the economy. While some people claim that universities ought to have students graduated with all crucial knowledge and skills for the work place, others think that the actual responsibility of a university should be to give students opportunities to approach the knowledge as they wish, even whether the course will be helpful or not. In my opinion, I strongly agree with the former view.

Admittedly, by dint of allowing students to learn for its own sake, they will feel easy and comfortable to learn effectively. Hence, their study result will be better and better. Ironically, by no means will they be successful in their career if they only learn the subjects, which they like. Therefore, universities should take in charge of educating them to qualify the workplace conditions. For example, in Viet Nam, some universities introduce students to attend some training courses, which will equip them with realistic perception and skills required in the work site.

On the other hand, it is said that students should have the right to choose the subjects, which is useful for their job in the future. As a result, they can use their ability in the right place. However, the paradox here is that hardly could students realize what the subjects are beneficial for them, because they do not have clear orientation about their desire careers. For instance in the first two years in university I even do not ensure what jobs I would like to do after graduation. Thereby, universities should advise and instruct students the knowledge, which needed in their workplace.

In conclusion, although universities have their own curriculum, they should teach students how to use the knowledge to work rather than understand the knowledge.