Some people say that it is possible to tell a lot about a person’s culture and character from their choice of clothes.Do you agree or disagree?

SATPREET SINGH's picture

According to some people / a few people, the external appearance and dressing style of a person can reflect their cultural values and personality traits. Personally, I disagree with the opinion that the choice of clothing should be used to deduce the character of a person.

Some of the sentiments and traditions can be inferred from the dressing one chooses to wear, but it is only limited to the externalities. For example, consider the Sikhs who wear the turban. It definitely gives us an idea about the background of the person and perhaps also his nationality. Likewise, most Muslim women wear burkha to show respect for their religion. However, a burkha only reveals the religion of a woman. It does not state anything about her character or personality.

A person’s lifestyle, preferences and habits, on the other hand, give more clues regarding their character and personality. For instance, I have personally met many people who dress modestly but live a life full of passion, ambition and adventure. Obviously, there is little we can deduce from their choice of clothes. Mahatma Gandhi, who earned India independence from the mighty British Empire, was greatly admired for his right conduct and honesty. He used to wear only a loin cloth to cover his body but he possessed great virtues unknown to many. At first, the British rulers chose to ignore him because they could never imagine that a half-naked fakir would one day shake the very foundations of their empire.

In conclusion, the choice of clothing or external appearances are not a reflection of a person’s culture or character. They can at best show whether a person is modern or traditional. They don’t give any clues to their character or values.