Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship between people Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship between people.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Despite the most important thing in any relationship is honesty, being overly honest may sometimes hurt others or ourselves by accident. Therefore, I believe that people should not tell the truth if it is based on good intention.

People always say that trust is the fundamental for any relationship to perpetuate, and the precondition of trust is always telling the truth. Indeed, usually a successful relationship is based on the people who are willing to expose their true appearance to each other. For example, if a person who is willing to tell other people how he or she really feel, then it is easier for them to find out what is the problem that they are dealing with, and knowing what is the problem could help them to adopt suitable strategy to solve them. Notwithstanding, if one of the person in a relationship dose not want to expose himself or herself, then even a person who is patient would lost their patience to fix the problem. Thus, telling the truth is important in any relationship.

However, always telling the truth may sometimes cause harm to other people or even themselves, because telling the truth is not always the best strategy in all type of situation. For example, if a therapist is counselling his or her client who just experienced a great tragedy or failure in their life. Though the client may have responsibility for the whole tragedy, it may not be suitable or even helpful to tell the truth that the client is the cause of whole problem. If the therapist decide to tell the truth, it could make the whole case turn to extremely prickly for them. And worst case scenario, it could cause the permanent harm to their client. Hence, telling the truth may sometimes create negative effect in the relationship.

In conclusion, although being honest is an imperative factor for having a good and healthy relationship, being overly honest and do not consider if the situation is suitable for telling the truth could also bring negative effect to the relationship.
收起