Home >> .

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for governments to spend money to improve Internet access than to improve public transportation. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

DAISY CHANG's picture

It has been a controversial issue that whether governments should spend money on internet access or on public transportation. As far as I am concerned, I believe it is more crucial for governments to invest more money on public transportation, and my reasons are as follows.

First and foremost, the most important mission for a government is to boost country's economy, and spending more money to improve public transportation is profitable. For example, in my country, the high speed train was built few years ago because our government found it was not only profitable, but many people had to spend long time traveling from Taipei, the capital city, to Kaushuing. Also, in the past two years, the majority of foreign travelers would take the high speed trains to play around Taiwan. As the financial report mentioned, the the high speed trans brings a tremendous revenue for our government.

In addition, governments all want earn a high reputation, and putting more efforts on public transportation will make more citizens support governments. I still remember when I was in senior high school, I lived in the suburb of Taipei. There was no any subway stations near my home, so I had to take a one-hour bus to my school. After I went to university, our new government noticed citizens' demand, and started the construction of the new subway stations. Many people felt grateful for what our new government did, and even vote for the party accordingly.

Last but not least, governments all want their countries are competitive around the world, and the modern public transportation is an indicator of whether a country is competitive. For instance, China had built many innovative international trains to eastern Europe in order to show its competency on transportation. On the other hand, nowadays most of countries have set up their internet access, so there is no need for a country to pursue the better internet access so as to prove the success of a country.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that governments should focus more on public transportation. After all, governments hope to do things profitable, get high reputation, and make their countries great.

Your rating: None Average: 8 (1 vote)