Some students prefer classes with open discussions between the professor and students and almost no lectures. Other students prefer classes with lectures and almost no discussions. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your ans

Some students prefer classes with open discussions between the professor and students and almost no lectures. Other students prefer classes with lectures and almost no discussions. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Classes are the most important part of attending schools. They prepare us for our future career. Thus, learning in the class is crucial. Even though some might believe that lectures keep the subject organized, some disagree. In my opinion, attending a class with an open discussion is far better than attending lectures for two major reasons.

First, learning process is faster with open discussions. The reason is students participate and make mistakes or mention right statements which help them to understand the subject better and faster. In August 2013, when I entered a Ph.D. program in U.S., I took medicinal chemistry course as one of required courses. At first, it seems very hard because I had a very bad experience with this course when I was an undergraduate student in Iran. My professor, at Tehran University in Iran, used to give lectures about different topics in medicinal chemistry e.g. receptor affinity. None of students were comfortable that they understood the concept or not? So, I was very frightened that what is going to happen to me, being in a foreign country and not being able to pass the course. All of my fear was gone as I attended the first class. Dr B. was a nice gentleman. He used to ask questions and invite students to participate. It was my first experience of attending this type of class and I absolutely enjoyed it. He gave us positive points for participation. This not only did work as a positive reinforcement to participate more, but it improved my knowlege in the field. These days I can simply help new students with medicinal chemistry, specially students who do not participate because of their language barrier.

Second, open discussions improve people's self-confidence. This is mainly because they get to overcome their fear of being wrong. Since in discussions being right or wrong does not matter as much as being wrong on the exam. In this past September, my friend Vinay, introduced a TED-Talk that changed my opinion toward self-confidence. They topic was presented by Amy Cuddy who is a professor at Prinston University. She explained that students should fake it to make it. She provided an example his students who was too shy to participate in the lecture. She told her that she would fail the course if she wouldn't participate. So, she taught her to fake having a high self-confidence. The results were amazing. She started raising her hand and answering questions infront of 50 students. This encouraged her to participate more since the professor was giving her positive feedback. By the end of that semester, the student not only did have faked it to make it, but she had become it. She was a totally new person. She had changed to a very strong lady who was not afraid to raise her hand and speak up her point of view. Therefore, attending open lectures can improve students overall confidence, dramatically.

In conclusion, I believe that open discussions are very beneficial. They help students with learning as well as boosting their confidence. I strongly recommend every student to attend open lectures if they have an option.

The reason is students participate and make mistakes
The reason is that students participate and make mistakes

This not only did work as a positive reinforcement to participate more, but it improved my knowlege in the field.
This not only did work as a positive reinforcement to participate more, but also improved my knowlege in the field.

Sentence: They topic was presented by Amy Cuddy who is a professor at Prinston University.
Description: A pronoun, personal, nominative, not 3rd person singular is not usually followed by a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to They and topic

Sentence: This not only did work as a positive reinforcement to participate more, but it improved my knowlege in the field.
Error: knowlege Suggestion: knowledge

Sentence: She started raising her hand and answering questions infront of 50 students.
Error: infront Suggestion: No alternate word

No. of Words: 525 350 //the examples are too long. Better to try this pattern with 3 arguments:

Para 1: introduction. my choice: A or B. agree or disagree. (suppose we support side A)

Para 2: First, reason 1 (1 sentence) + why reason 1(some arguments. 2-3 sentences) + examples for reason 1 (around 1 sentences) + small conclusions (like advantages of reason 1 or comparisons if not reason 1, 1-2 sentences).

Para 3: Second, reason 2, blabla... do the same thing as First

Para 4: Admittedly, there are some advantages of side B. first,....second...However, there is no causation/relation... Still I support side A, ....

Para 5: Conclusion.

---------------------