Topic Do you agree or disagree with the following statement People today spend too much time on personal enjoyment doing things they like to do rather than doing things they should do

Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People today spend too much time on personal enjoyment—doing things they like to do rather than doing things they should do.

Nowadays, personalization is becoming more and more popular in the world which makes an individual different from others. Nevertheless, some people think that they must do all things as same as others do to achieve their physiological needs instead of chasing dreams or doing what they really want to do. At my point of view, spending time for personal enjoyment or doing desired things helps people meet their esteem’s needs and become more unique.

To begin with, self-esteem involves our desire to feel good about ourselves. According to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, esteem is the second level from the top of the hierarchy which included two components in terms of being confident and being respected by others. First of all, self-confidence is one of the most necessary characteristic people should have to become successful. Actually, confidence helps people improve their opportunities in social life at both working and relationship. For instance, a confident person has the ability to analyze his/her strength and weakness which let him/her boost the strength and reduce the weakness. As a result, people with high self-confidence usually do not have a fear of failure and they dare to take the risk to achieve their working goals or relationship goals. Secondly, spending much time on your desired works or goals will make your contributions and achievements be recognized and respected by others. Particularly, people always do their best on their favorite things or the works they really want to do. Therefore, those results will be better than the results of doing works without any motivation or enjoyment.

Besides that, being unique or achieving the self-actualization is the highest goal of human life. Self-actualization refers to feeling fulfilled or living with our potentials. In fact, Maslow showed that just a few people can reach that self-actualization level such as Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln and Mother Teresa… All of them are very famous and out-standing among the crowds because they know what to do and have the belief on their works. However, in my opinion, everyone can become unique in their own way instead of being like a robot – imitating others. Each person has their own characteristics and hobbies which equivalent to different personal enjoyments and career paths. Anyway, people do not need to be famous or popular but they should be unique and different from the crowds.

Overall, the physiological needs are necessary in our life and keep us in the safe area. While this is true, keep following your hobbies and dreams, spending time for your enjoyments and doing what you like in order to take the advantages of being confident, respected and unique.