Private collectors have been selling and buying fossils, the petrified remains of ancient organisms, ever since the eighteenth century. In recent years, however, the sale of fossils, particularly of dinosaurs and other large vertebrates, has grown into a big business. Rare and important fossils are now being sold to private ownership for millions of dollars. This is an unfortunate development for both scientists and the general public.
The article states that the selling of fossils to private ownership is creating a problem for both public and scientists. However, the professor explains that although it carries some negative consequences, it is exaggerated by the reading and provides the benefits of it.
First, the reading claims that the public is directly affected since they cannot have access to the fossils. Because private owners buy the fossils, the audience cannot easily reach them. Thus, it will tend to decline the public interest in dinosaurs' fossils. The professor refutes this point by saying that the fossils can be appreciated by the public more than ever before through this method. According to the speaker, they acquire these bones which makes it accessible for everybody even though the low level institutions, such as public libraries.
Second, the article posits that scientists also are affected since they lose access to the information provided by the fossils. Thus, they miss important information about extinct life because museums cannot compete with the prices against private owners. However, the speaker says that in order to obtain the value of fossils, scientists must identify the piece. In other words, scientists are involved in the process since they have to check them out after the private owner buys them. As a result, scientists won't miss information as the article stated previously.
Third, the reading says that the unearth fossils are prone to be destroyed in untrained hand because private owners lack of knowledge about getting and keeping the fossil in the correct conditions. The professor opposes to this point by explaining that even the discovery made by an untrained person is important to get new information; otherwise, the fossil will be undiscovered, so scientific institutions should recollect all the data possible although they lack of training to perform it.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 year 4 months ago||hoangtuyet||81||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 months ago||toeflbeginner||80||Read full essay|
|1 year 5 months ago||Johnadams||81||Read full essay|
|1 year 5 months ago||goharzay.m||86||Read full essay|
|1 year 5 months ago||Anitabtz||70||Read full essay|
|1 year 6 months ago||Mortezaa||73||Read full essay|
|1 year 6 months ago||alylmaz||78||Read full essay|
|1 year 7 months ago||mari122||60||Read full essay|
|1 year 7 months ago||Elena Cristina||88||Read full essay|
|1 year 8 months ago||carolinaviik||95||Read full essay|
- TOEFL integrated writing: Chaco housing (75)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Technology has made the world a better place to live. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. (80)
- summarize the points in the lecturer, being sure to explain how they oppose specific points made in the reading: A hydropower facility consists of a plant for electricity production and a water reservoir formed by a dam in a river. The dam has gates that (55)
- ReadingThe zebra mussel, a freshwater shellfish native to Eastern Europe, has long been spreading out from its original habitats and has now reached parts of North America. There are reasons to believe that this invasion cannot be stopped and that it pose (80)
- Is it more important to be able to work with a group of people on a team or to work independently? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer. (80)
- How the speaker casts doubt on the author's claims (70)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Advertisingcan tell you a lot about a country. Use specific reasons and examplesto support your answer. (80)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The best way to travel is in a group led by a tour guide. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (80)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The most important aspect of a job is the money a person earns. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (70)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Telephones and email have made communication between people less personal. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. (75)