Task 1 tpo 22

Task 1 tpo 22

It is stated in the article that ethanol is not a good replacement for gasoline. The article also provides three reasons to support this opinion. However the professor explains that none of the reasons given in the reading passage is convincing. His statement directly contradicts each of the reasons pointed out in the reading passage.

First, the reading claims that the use of ethanol fuel wouldn't help to solve environmental problems such as global warming because it helps trap heat in the atmosphere. But the professor disproves this point by saying that the process of growing plants counteracts this release of CO2. He states that every growing plant absorbs CO2 from the air as part of its nutrition. In fact, growing plants removes CO2 from the atmosphere.

Then, as the second reason, the article posits that production of ethanol leads to a reduced amount of source of food for animals. Nevertheless, the professor draws attention to the point that ethanol produced from cellulose. According to the professor you will find most cellulose in those parts of plants that aren’t eaten by animals. So the amount of animal foods will not be reduced.

In the end, as the third reason, the reading mentions that ethanol fuel will never be able to compete with gasoline on price. But on the other hand the lecture clearly refutes this point by explaining that when enough people start buying ethanol, ethanol producers will increase their produce of ethanol. He also illustrates his opinion by increased production of ethanol leads to a drop in its price.