TPO 11 Integrated a decline in reading the literature

The passage and the lecture throws light upon declining numbers of people reading literature. The passage puts forth a set of causes and effects of this phenomenon whereas the lecturer, more or less, contracdicts the passage.

At the outset, the passage points out that book reading in general has declined and this reduction is specifically sharper in case of literature. Furthermore, the author also suggests no other book, apart from literature, has the ability to stimulate intelect and help widen our imagination. However, the lecturer argues that apart from literature, books like science and history can also be equally interesting and help people "exercise" imagination. Thus, the lecturer feels that reading books other than literature can also be a stimulating experience.

Furthermore, the passage suggests that people have started to turn their attention to material that is far less challenging like music or television and this has ultimately led to an overall depreciation in the cultural values of society. The lecturer, on the other hand uses exactly same examples to contradict this opinion. She highlights how watching a brilliant movie or listening to a wonderful music track cannot lead to cultural decline. The general notion of culture is very subjective and films and music is an equally powerful form of expression as compared to literature.

While conceding to the fact pointed out by the passage that the reduced readership has adversely affected writers, the lecturer feels that the readers alone cannot be blamed for this discrepancy. She explains how some of the modern literature is very difficult to understand and relate to for contemporary public. Furthermore, she goes on to say that readers of the past may not prefer reading the literature published today.