TPO 14 Integrated Writing Task Every year forest fires and severe storms cause a great deal of damage to forests in the northwestern United States One way of dealing with the aftermath of these disasters is called salvage logging which is the practic

The lecture and the reading are both about the salvage logging after a natural disaster in forests in northwestern of the United States. While the article enumerates three advantages for salvage logging as: preparing palce for growth of new trees, controling the parasits, and creating job opportunity for local people, the lecturer opposes these points and believes that salvage logging has disadvantage more rather then advantages.
First, the reading states that salvage logging will provide more space for new trees after the crushed trees choke the foressts. On the other hand, the speaker challenges this point by saying that cleaning up the forest is not necessarily create place for next generation. She asserts that instead of cleaning up if the trees remain in the forest they will decompose and will add more nutrients to the soil, which is beneficial for next genertations of trees.
Second, the author posits that dead trees will increase the population of the insects likle spruce bark beetle, which can harm other healthy trees. The professor, however, rebuts this notion by explaining that insects like as spruce bark beetle have been in those forests for more than one hundred years. She is of the opinion that the ecosystem of the forest can control the population of insects. In this regard other insects and birds work to keep this balance. BAsed on her assertion, the salvage logging has more bane than insects for health of horests.
Third, the writer of the reading points out slavage logging help the local economy by providing more job chances for people live in those area. Conversely, the speaker repudiates this and says that due to the severe damage of the forest fire in natural disaster, salvage logging needs sophisticated logestics such as helicopter and other heavy machines, which are not available in local communities. Then, other companies from other palces benefit. In addition, those jobs are peramnaent and will not help local people for long time, and those jobs are high skill jobs which do not fit for them.