Tpo 18 integrated task

Tpo 18 integrated task

The article states that Torreya taxifoha, a type of evergreen tree once very common in the state of Florida, started to die out and will soon become extinct. Experts are considering three ways to address the decline of Torreya. However, the lecture opposes it by saying that unfortunately the solutions mentioned in the passage are non-satisfactory.

The first opinion by the article is to reestablish Torreya in the same location in which it thrived for thousands of years. In contrast, the professor claims this solution is unlikely to be successful. She states the weather is no longer favorable there; the micro climate is strongly affected by the change in the weather of large area due to global warming. The wet land became dry and the Torreya needs wet and cool weather to survive in the original location.

Secondly, the author suggests to move Torreya to an entirely different location, far from its Florida micro climate. However, the lecture opposes this point by giving an example of the black locus. When human tried to do assistance migration of it to the north part, it thrives so quickly there and destroyed the native species, which was about to become extinct. Therefore, this solution may result in unpredictable consequences.

Thirdly, the passage says to preserve Torreya in research centers. On the other hand, the lecture says this solution would not work. Torreya would not able to resist diseases in the research center. In the wild, the trees are relatively large and genetically diverse, while in the center they would not have enough capacity to survive against the diseases on the long run.