TPO 33 Task 1

Essay topics

The reading proposes some theories that carved stone balls might have been used as weapons, weight tool or as represnting social status. However, the lecture finds all the ideas dubious and present ssome evidences to refute them.

The author states that these stone balls were used as a weapon. Conversely, the lecture highlights the fact that there are ni signs of common weapons such as broken off in stone balls. Stone balls even were well preserved and some of them were too considerably heavy to throw.

Furthermore, the passage asserts that these stine balls could have been empolyed as weirgt measuring tool in order to scale or balance the goods of trade. On the contrary, the speaker points out that stone balls made of different materials such as rock or sand had different weight.
Fianlly, the reeading holds the view that stone balls might have been used as a represnting tool for social status. In contrast, the professor found this theory inconsistent with the evidence. She underlines the fact that some of these stone balls were too simple to show high ranking of the owner. In addition, people with high social ranking were buried in graves with their own tools which stone balls are not one of them.