TPO 37

TPO 37

Both the reading passage and the listening section discuss whether TEDs can successfully protect turtles or not. The passage provides some reasonable arguments that TEDs cannot actually prevent turtles from having damages, but the lecture casts doubt on it and proposes three reputations.

First of all, the essay mentions that rarely do turtles get trapped, and it cost a lot to save one turtle using this device. However, the lecture severely refutes this idea by contending that there are thousands of shrimp boats. That is, these boats catch thousands of turtles every year. Moreover, it might not have any impact for an individual to catch one turtle, but it cause a large influence on turtles since they are endangered. Therefore, TEDs can help turtles from being extinct.

Secondly, the article notes that shortening the time for the nets underwater is a good solution. Once again, the lecturer greatly disputes this statement by suggesting that the time limit for the nets is hard to enforce. To be more specific, there are a lot of boats catching the shrimps, but the government cannot monitor every boat. On the other hand, TEDs can be easier enforced. As a result, the reason that the article provides is not convincing.

Last but not least, the passage proposes that some turtles cannot fit through the passage. Nonetheless, the lecturer seriously disagrees with the reason by pointing out that the equipment can be modified to any size. To elaborate, if some of the turtles are greater than the normal turtles, they would provide different types of shrimpers. Thus, no matter what kinds of turtles' species can be protected.