TPO 59 integrated

TPO 59- integrated

The article states that there are theories with which the purpose of large stone jars found in the plain of jars can be explained and provides three examples of these theories. However, the professor explains that despite what the author believes, the plain of jars is mysterious and the purpose of those jars is still uncertain. He refutes the points made by the author.

First of all, the passage claims that the jars may have been used for fermentation. This point is challenged by the professor by mentioning that making stone jars takes lots of time and money. So, it was not an efficient option and the people could have used clay pots instead, which were easier to make and had the same function.

Secondly, the article posits that the jars may have been used as places to store water for travelers. However, the professor explains that the location of the pots was also near river, so the travelers probably had access to fresh water and there was no need for saving water.

Finally, in contrast to the reading's claim that the jars were used as tombs, the professors notes that tombs had coverings to protect the remains of humans and the artifacts from thieves or from weather. He states that no covering have been found on or near these jars, so it is unlikely that the jars were places the people buried their dead.