TPO 63

TPO 63

The article states that cheatgrass plant is a serious problem for north american fields and provides three methods to solve this problem. However, the professor believes that these methods are not likely to control the cheatgrass population and refutes each of them.

First of all, the reading claims that encouraging livestocks to feed on cheatgrass, would eliminate this plant. The professor casts doubt on this point by mentioning that grazers usually do not prefer to eat cheatgrass. He elaborates on this by explaining that if grazers are released in a field where both cheatgrass and other native plants exist, they will probably eat some of the cheatgrass only after they have ate all the other native plants. This method can possibly cause a opposite effect.

Secondly, the article posits that burning the cheatgrass can be a good solution. However, the professor says that this plant usually has lots of seeds, many of which are below the ground surface. He explains that setting them on fire will only remove the plants on the ground and in a little amount of time the seeds below can give rise to new cheatgrass. Hence, the problem won't be solved this way.

Finally, the reading states that introducing a fungal parasite can be a good way to get rid of cheatgrass. The professor opposes this idea by saying that since cheatgrass and fungus have lived together for a long time in their native habitant, this method won't be efficient. He explains that cheatgrass have become resistant to this fungus and only the weaker or sicker ones may be removed by this fungus.