Essay topics: TPO-Extra 2-integrated
Both the reading and listening parts offer two opposite views about smart cars. While the passage lists three advantages of smart cars to depict its adherence from this novel technology; the professor, on the other hand, casts doubt on all mentioned benefits, and presents some clues to call all of them into the question.
First of all, the article refers to the fewer numbers of the accident as the first benefits of smart cars, which also saves a life; the instructor, in contrast, refutes this point. As she describes, any advanced technology breaks down occasionally; thus, there is the possibility that one of the smarts cars falls and does not work in the traffic. In this case, for the sake of compact traffic of smart cars, there would be a bigger accident if one car stops working. So, the smart car does not reduce accidents or the number of injuries.
Secondly, meanwhile, the text stated the high speeded highway as another positive aspect of smart cars; the lecturer, on the contrary, disapproves it. As she explains, according to one study, the number of individuals who use cars increases when they convince with the traffic. Therefore, the comfort provided by the smart cars persuades more persons to drive cars; as a result, the traffic will stay heavy as more cars are used. Consequently, smart cars do not speed up the highway's speed and reduce community duration.
Finally, the passage mentioned that the reduction of driving's cost as the last advantage of smart cars; otherwise, the professor rejects this one too. As she asserts, the global desired advancement in technology requires a high amount of money. Besides, the repairment of the smart cars, for the sake of their technical stuff such as the sensor, is more expensive than the traditional cars. So, the money required for the smart cars' development and repairment offsets the cost of ordinary cars and people will not save money by owning smart cars.
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (44)
- 1.The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for (66)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because t (43)
- 1. True success can be measured primarily in terms of the goals one sets for oneself.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing (58)
- 1.No field of study can advance significantly unless it incorporates knowledge and experience from outside that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the pos (79)
- The following is part of a memorandum from the president of Humana University."Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. During the same year, Omni showed a sign (85)
- 1. The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a journal on environmental issues."Over the past year, the Crust Copper Company (CCC) has purchased over 10,000 square miles of land in the tropical nation of West Fredonia. Mining copper on this land (83)
- 1. In order to become well-rounded individuals, all college students should be required to take courses in which they read poetry, novels, mythology, and other types of imaginative literature.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you (66)
- 9.The following appeared in a health newsletter."A ten-year nationwide study of the effectiveness of wearing a helmet while bicycling indicates that ten years ago, approximately 35 percent of all bicyclists reported wearing helmets, whereas today that num (49)
- If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting yo (79)