tpo38 the extinction of several species at the end of Triassic period

Both reading and lecture discuss a plan about preventing damages cause by a fungus. The author brings up some solutions toward this issue, while the professor opposes these solutions and declares that these mentioned points also coincide with some problems. Therefore, the professor finds these reasons fraudulent and refutes each of the author's points.

First, the passage explains that encouraging hikers to wash their shoes and installing new bike scrubbers will prevent spread of P. ramorum spores sufficiently. In contrast, the speaker states that these kinds of cleaning will not be effective. this is based on the fact that much of these spores are spreading because of water streams. water streams can carry them long distances to the forests.

Second, another solution, which is making use of some chemicals, is proposed by author. Again, the professor rejects this idea and claims that it will be helpful just for areas such as a small park and applying this to a vast forest will give a rise to costs. Also, it won’t be practical to apply chemicals to every single oat every month.

Third, cutting down the oats and their surrounding vegetation is another tip that is given by the passage, but the lecture supports that doing this will destroy some healthy plants. For example, there are 3 kind of plant species in U.S that are very rare and also very hard to grow. Therefore, by cutting them, the damage that happens can be more of the damage that we want to prevent.